Smokey Mo's Bar-B-Q (Whitestone)


I have known about Smokey Mo's Bar-B-Q for over seven years now. I always see or hear their commercials. Now that I think about it, not many other BBQ joints advertise on the airwaves. Maybe Rudy's? Believe it or not, PoK-E-Jo's used to be one of my favorites back in my undergraduate days. Why? They had good sides, and barbecue was still new to me. I assumed PoK-E-Jo's and Smokey Mo's were similar because of their names so I never really bothered to try Smokey Mo's. That is kind of ignorant for me to think that so I am here to atone for it. Smokey Mo's has never been convenient for me to eat there. I was in Round Rock one day so I was semi-close to one. I decided to hit up the original location. Did you know they have 11 locations? I would have guessed they had a few places but not that many.


When I walked in the door, I saw the Southern Pride smoker and was disappointed already. I rarely see a gas smoker put out great meat. I ordered the three meat plate with moist brisket, pork ribs, and sausage. I got sides of potato salad and coleslaw. The brisket had no bark. It was trimmed off. The brisket was not bad at all. The fat was not rendered all the way and smoke was absent though. There were pieces of the bark on my plate. It was good and had nice flavors. If the brisket was kept together, it might have been solid. The ribs were good but a little dry. The glaze had a nice flavor, and the smoke was surprisingly noticeable. The sausage was a special blend made for them. It was heavy on black pepper, but I liked the way it tasted. The potato salad was eggy but not bad. The coleslaw was crisp and heavy on mayonnaise.


Smokey Mo's is a local chain that puts out okay barbecue. They meet the minimum bar for Texas barbecue in my opinion. Smokey Mo's may not be for me, but I could see it working out for others. I saw a lot of families eating there, and also there were a lot of take-out orders. The prices were affordable as well. They are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Grade: Other

Until next time, happy smoking....

Address: 100 E Whitestone Blvd #158, Cedar Park, TX 78613
Phone: (512) 528-0500
Website:
http://www.smokeymosbbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/smokeymosbbq

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts