Black's Barbecue (Austin)



Our go-to barbecue joint in Lockhart is Black's Barbecue. They are open every day of the week, and their brisket is top notch. The food is consistently good. When it was announced that a location was being opened in Austin, I was indifferent. It was closer for me to go to the Lockhart location anyways. Then I heard that they were transporting the meats from Lockhart, I could not find a reason to visit the Austin one frequently. This location is right by the campus of The University of Texas. Freedmen's is my favorite by campus, but the prices at Black's make it more affordable to the student crowd.


It was rainy and cold when I went this day. On these days, it must be hard for food trailers. Not everyone wants to brave the elements. It was nice and warm inside of Black's. The selection here is not as expansive as the Lockhart one. I ordered a quarter pound of moist brisket, a pork sparerib, and a ring of jalapeño and cheese sausage. My wallet was only 10 bucks lighter after paying. That was a plus. The thinly sliced brisket had a lot of unrendered fat. It could have used a little bit more time in the smoker. The meat was tender, but if it was sliced thicker, it would have been chewier. The flavor and smoke was good though. The sparerib I got was not very meaty. It was also dry. I have never gotten the jalapeño and cheese sausage before. It was great. The grit and snap from the casing was on point. You can taste the chunks of cheese and jalapeño.



Take the drive to Lockhart. It is worth it to go to the original Black's. There is a lot of tradition and history that you miss out on at the Austin location. I am not going to grade this post because there are too many variables when you are transporting the food from one location to another. If the meat is smoked in Lockhart, why not just eat it there?  While you are there, hit up the other historic BBQ joints. Do not get me wrong. I have no issues in going to the Austin one. It is convenient, and the prices and hours are just right. The opening of Black's adds another solid barbecue option to the capital city of Texas. Grade: N/A



Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 3110 Guadalupe Street, Austin, TX 78705
Phone: (512) 524-0801
Website: http://blacksbbqaustin.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/blacksbbqaustin
Twitter: https://twitter.com/blacksbbqaustin

Comments

Popular Posts