Brisket Southern BBQ & Bar


One day, Amber was browsing Tumblr when she saw roundtrip tickets from NYC/JFK to London for under 500 bucks. We did not have any plans to go to Europe at that point but that all changed in 30 minutes. The Smoking Ho is going international! I am only allowed one BBQ stop per trip. I picked The Beast in Paris which you can read about next time. Our friends, who used to live in Austin, that live in Bern, Switzerland chose the place for us to eat at dinner. They selected a barbecue restaurant in Zurich. Yes! A loophole. I told the husband months ago about it. Planting the seed... They picked us up at airport after our flight landed from London, and we headed straight to Brisket Southern BBQ & Bar. Parking is located above the restaurant which we missed (we paid for public parking). The interior space of the restaurant was very dimly lit and had a refine feel to it.

Shiner Bock was on the drink menu so I had to get one. A little piece of home 5,000 miles away. There were quite a few choices on the dinner menu. I wanted to order The Holy Trinity at the very least, but they were out of the beef sausage. There was a minimum order of two people per platter. I thought this was weird. I wanted to try everything so I felt a little constricted. The guys ordered the Lone Star which came with brisket, pulled pork, and pork belly. The ladies got a platter that came with brisket, pork ribs, and shredded chicken. We got two orders of the macaroni and cheese, sweet potato and pumpkin gratin, and BBQ beans as sides on the platters.

The meats are smoked using peach and pear woods. The coffee and black pepper brisket was surprisingly good. It was tender and had enough smoke to my liking. The meat had a good flavor. The pork ribs were really thick and meaty but also really fatty. I am not sure where they got the cut from. I feel like the butcher left on too much of the belly. It tasted fine but with the extra fat, it was too rich for my taste. The pulled pork came heavy sauced. I liked it okay, but the meat did not have a chance to shine through. A sloppy mess. Similar to eating chopped beef. The shredded chicken was very different. It reminded me of fajita meat. The texture and taste was not what I was expecting. The pork belly was great. It was tasty and smoky. If I was not so full, I would have eaten all of it. Disclaimer: I was not used to eating this much meat since we left the states. I enjoyed the macaroni and cheese and the sweet potato and pumpkin gratin. The BBQ beans were just meh.

Brisket Southern BBQ & Bar had some strengths and weaknesses. The strengths outweighed the weaknesses here. If you are an ex-pat living in Switzerland or traveling through Zurich, make a stop here. The brisket lived up to its namesake. I was in a meat coma after we left. It has been a while since that has happened. Grade: N/A

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: Pfingstweidstrasse 6, 8005 Zürich, Switzerland
Phone: +41 44 241 20 20
Website: http://www.brisket.ch/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brisket.bbq.ch/

Comments

Popular Posts