Heavy’s Outdoor Bar-B-Que (First Impression)


I drove down to San Antonio to eat at a Top 50 BBQ restaurant. I did not feel like wasting a trip just to eat at one place. I juggled multiple options during the drive to San Antonio and decided on Heavy’s Outdoor Bar-B-Que. Heavy's made the Texas Monthly BBQ list this time around. It is located on Hondo which is about 45 minute drive west of San Antonio. I had to be somewhere at 3 PM so I had to make this BBQ road trip really snappy. When you get there, you will see a brick pit out front, but it is dormant as 2 Southern Prides are doing all the lifting.



The first thing I noticed on the menu was the prices. Everything was really affordable. Brisket/beef was only $11.75 per pound! It is almost unheard of nowadays. I ordered the Texas Trinity ($11.50 for a plate!) with sides of beans and potato salad. The brisket was cooked nicely, and the fat was well-rendered. Other than the smoke from mesquite, there was no flavor. It was missing something. The pork ribs were a little better. Although partially undercooked the ribs were good. The flavors were simple, but they worked. The sausage was the best thing on the plate. The casing popped, and the texture of the sausage was ideal. There was plenty of fat, and you get a lot of garlic and black pepper in each bite. The homemade sides were nothing special to write about.



The dining room at Heavy’s Outdoor Bar-B-Que was filled with locals and blue-collar workers. These folks are showing up for a quality meal without breaking the bank. I get the appeal of Heavy's. A no-frills BBQ joint. I am not in hurry to go back though. It is a little far, but if you are in the area, it might be worth stopping by. I do regret for not trying one of the poultry items. When you heading out that way, double check your GPS. There is also a Heavy's in Devine. Grade: N/A



Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 1301 19th St, Hondo, TX 78861
Phone:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts