Curly's Carolina, TX (closed)

A group of us was supposed to get together and drive go karts in Kyle on a Sunday. Unfortunately, the race track is closed on Sundays. Fortunately, one of the guys lived in Round Rock. We were going to meet him and his family for lunch at Curly's Carolina, TX. They have twin babies so we were trying to make it easy on them. I convinced Amber to go because I promised her some Taco Market (Taco Villa), but the sad thing was that Taco Market had recently closed down for business. Amber is from Lubbock and that was a piece of Lubbock that she and I enjoyed.


Curly's Perfect Pig used to be a trailer in Round Rock serving North Carolina style barbecue owned by Jay Yates. John Brotherton had his own trailer dishing out Texas style barbecue called Hall of Fame BBQ in Pflugerville. Jay and John joined forces to open Curly's Carolina, TX, and they each brought their regional barbecue expertise together. Their new location was a brick and mortar restaurant on Main St in downtown Round Rock. The dining room was not completely finished when we went but should be done soon.


Today, I ordered the Carolina, Texas Trinity plate. It came with moist brisket, pork ribs, and pulled pork with two sides. I also added a link of sausage. The brisket was the winner here. It was tender and smoky. It had great bark on it. The ribs were solid. Just like the brisket, it was tender and smoky with a nice glaze. Although the sausage was not homemade, it was still good. It had a great snap to it. The pulled pork was meh so that was really disappointing. It was boring and lacking flavor, and I did not like the finishing sauce in it. The bright side was I got to try the three sauces they offered with the pulled pork- red, vinegar, and mustard. I did not like the mustard based one, but the other two were good. The sides I went with were pan-fried cornbread and coleslaw. The cornbread was good but so are most carbs. The coleslaw was good and tasted fresh. I wish I had tried the wasabi coleslaw. It sounded unique, and I have heard great things about it.


I was a little disappointed in my visit. From what I heard and saw through social media, I was ready for Curly's to knock my socks off. It was good but not amazing. If the pulled pork would have been better, I would be a repeat customer in a heartbeat. The sandwiches do look good though. I think the pulled pork would work well in a sandwich. I might get one of those when I am in the area again.

Until next time, happy smoking...

Comments

Popular Posts