Louie Mueller Barbecue

Last time, I talked about our trip to Snow's BBQ. Our barbecue doubleheader continued. We were full and content and got in our car to continue our adventure to Taylor. I thought Taylor was close to Lexington, but I was wrong. They are about 30 miles apart. The car ride over was a little rough especially with a belly full of barbecue. There were a lot of bumps and turns on the way. We were not quite ready for more barbecue when we got to Taylor. We hung out with a friend at their neighborhood pool for a little bit.


I always work up an appetite when hanging out by the pool or swimming. I was ready for some barbecue. Our stop in Taylor was Louie Mueller Barbecue. There is a lot of barbecue bloodlines coming from this place. Louie had his son Bobby manning the pits almost 50 years ago. John Mueller of John Mueller Meat Market used to work for his late father Bobby here. Bobby's daughter LeAnn now owns La Barbecue. The pitmaster at La Barbecue John Lewis used to man the pits with Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue. Aaron Franklin got his big start in barbecue by working at one of John Mueller's closed restaurants. Lance Kirkpatrick of Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew also worked at Louie Mueller. Louie Mueller Barbecue is now owned by one of Bobby's other child, Wayne. Confused yet?


When we got there, there was a short line at 3:30 in the afternoon. Man it was hot in there. There were fans, but no air conditioning. Also it was the hottest day of the year so far with a high of 108. Amber was already tired of barbecue and ordered peach cobbler and was going to take some bites of my food. I ordered a slice of moist/fatty brisket, a sausage link, a giant beef rib, and two pork ribs. The beef rib weighed over two pounds and was a chunk of the cost of my meal. The brisket was good, but nothing amazing. It had a good smoke ring and bark. I felt like there could more flavors in the meat, but it was not too salty so that was a plus. The pork ribs were okay. They were a little dry. The sausage was really good. It had a nice flavor, a good casing with pop, and a nice grit. I am starting to like sausage more and more than other meats. No jokes please.


The star of the show had to be the beef rib. It was huge as you can tell. The smokiness and crust of the meat was just delicious. The meat was so tender; it would melt in your mouth. I am now salivating as I typed this. Too bad it is meatless Monday. You can see the influence of their beef ribs when you go to other barbecue joints in Texas. Heavy on the black pepper. I was full at this point, but I could have hit up another barbecue restaurant. Elgin is not that far from Taylor and was on the way home. The girls I was with were not having any of it. Oh well. It was another trip for me to take.

Louie Mueller Barbecue is a great BBQ joint. I could see it being in the top five of the Texas Monthly's BBQ list. Their beef rib is the go to meat. I am still dreaming about the beef rib. Well that concludes our two BBQ restaurants adventure. Maybe the next trip we will have three stops... Grade: A-

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 206 W Second St, Taylor, TX 76574
Phone: (512) 352-6206
Website:
http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LouieMuellerBarbeque
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LouieMuellerBBQ

Comments

Popular Posts