Smitty's Market

After the first stop of Sausage Fest 2013, Kreuz Market, some of us were already full. That was not a good sign considering we had two more stops to go. The second BBQ joint of the day was Smitty's Market. It was our favorite spot in Lockhart. Their brisket was my favorite until some guy named Franklin took away that title. Apparently Smitty's reputation has taken a hit as of late. Their quality is inconsistent day to day. Texas Monthly had taken note of this and did not include them in the top 50 in the 2013 list. Smitty's was among the top five in the 2008 edition.


Hot. This is how I would describe entering Smitty's doors. The pits are right by you when you are standing in line. The wood is burning within two feet from you so it is really hot and smoky in there. Visiting Smitty's in the winter seems like a better idea especially when it was over 100 degrees this day. Once again, Amber and I shared moist brisket, pork ribs and sausage. I have had the pork chop in the past, and it was excellent. You order in one room by the pits and get your sides and drinks in another. Kreuz is setup the same way. Smitty's only takes cash. I did not get any sides, but I did order a Budweiser. I cannot even remember the last time I ordered a Bud. Did you know Budweiser has almost 200 calories? Not for me anymore. 


When we sat down, I realized we did not have any forks. We brought forks for Kreuz, but not Smitty's. I swear they used to have forks here. They did have barbecue sauce though. I am fine with no forks because I eat things with my hands that I should not anyways. Of course I bit into the brisket first. The brisket was better than Kreuz's. It had a good smoke ring and flavor. It was cooked too long or too high today and was a little dry. The sausage was good today. It has the gritty fatty texture that I enjoy in a sausage. It was cooked a bit too long because the casing was wrinkly. The ribs were okay. It was too saucy for my liking. I did not really taste any smoke flavor. The Smitty's bar was set high from past experiences, but based on what I have read lately, I came back with a little reservation. At the end of my meal, my expectations were met this time.


I feel like the quality of the meats have gone down. Their main pitmaster, John Fullilove, is working on opening the new family BBQ joint in Bee Caves. Is there a link between the two? If we want good barbecue close to our house without long lines, this is where we go. Smitty's is my favorite in Lockhart. Is it still after visiting Black's Barbecue? Find out next week when we make our final stop of the trip. Grade: B

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 208 S Commerce St, Lockhart, TX 78644
Phone: (512) 398-9344
Website:
http://www.smittysmarket.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmittysMarket

Comments

Popular Posts