Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que (Llano)


Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Llano was the next stop on the list after leaving Opie's Barbecue. Amber and I have eaten at the Cooper's in New Braunfels a few times. One time we order 70 bucks worth of barbecue for the two of us! Ordering the smoked prime rib added up pretty fast. The Cooper's in Llano was included on the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ list again. When I got there, the serving pit was located outside of the building under a roof. You can see the other smoking pits when you walk up. Everything here is smoked direct over mesquite coals.



I was not very hungry when I ordered, but I still went for it. I got moist brisket, pork ribs, sausage, and a pork chop. The moist brisket could have been trimmed better before it hit the smoker. It was really fatty and a little salty but still tasty. The fat could have been rendered better, and the brisket could have used more smoke. That is a consequence for cooking it direct. Hot and fast. It was better than I thought it would be. The pork ribs were also salty but solid. The tip of the rib was really dry and chewy. I wanted a center rib, but the guy cutting was trying to get rid of an end piece. It had a good flavor nonetheless. The sausage had a nice pop from the casing and was really good. The grit was a tad fine for me but had a good fat ratio. The thick pork chop is what Cooper's is known for. It was the highlight of the meal. The "big chop" was delicious. It was perfectly seasoned and was moist and juicy. It had enough smoke where it would not become overbearing. Do not skip out on the free pinto beans that you can have. They are really good. I could not finish all of the brisket and pork chop, but I had some good leftovers for the next few days.


I am a fan of Cooper's. They have a few locations all over Texas. They are about to open a new location in downtown Austin. My first visit at the Llano location did not disappoint. It is definitely a drive from Austin. If you are ever out in that area, make sure you stop in and get some 'cue. I forgot to order the beef ribs this time. I will remember to order it next time. Grade: B

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 604 W Young St, Llano, TX 78643
Phone: (325) 247-5995
Website:
http://www.coopersbbqllano.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Coopers-Old-Time-Pit-Bar-B-Que

Comments

Popular Posts