Fuschak's Pit Bar-B-Q


Fuschak's Pit Bar-B-Q was on the Texas Monthly honorable mention list back in 2008. So at one point, they were serving pretty good 'cue. It has been a while since I have dropped in here. I remember the barbecue being above average. Fuschak's does specials during the week and all you can eat is one of them. I passed on that because ribs are not a part of the buffet. Their name is misleading. If I saw pit in someone's name, I would assume they are using a wood pit not a gas one.


I eat a majority of my barbecue meals by myself. I actually like it. I get to order whatever I want and not get judged. I wanted to try the fajita meat, but they had run out for the day. I got the three meat plate with moist brisket, ribs, and four sides! I doubled up on coleslaw and also got pinto beans and potato salad. The brisket was surprisingly solid. It had a deep smoke flavor with a decent peppery bark. The fat could have been rendered a little bit longer because the brisket was a little chewy. I wished that they trimmed the fat better and not slice with the grain too. The pork ribs were smoky and tender. They were a little dry, but I enjoyed them. It had a nice flavor from the rub. The sausage was a blend made for them was not bad. A commercial sausage is a commercial sausage though. They are all the same for the most part. Good but not great. The coleslaw was okay. The beans and potato salad were good. The roll that came with the meal was also really good.


Fuschak's is a good option for barbecue in San Marcos. I think a lot of people have forgotten about them. Directly across the interstate lies Hays County BBQ. They are better choice, but you still cannot go wrong with Fuschak's. They also have a thing on their menu that is called the Barburito. It is a burrito with brisket instead of picadillo. I will be back to try that and the fajita meat. The prices are affordable as well. Grade: C+

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 1701 Interstate 35, San Marcos, TX 78666
Phone: (512) 353-2712
Website:
http://www.fuschaksbbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fuschaksbbq

Comments

Popular Posts