Wilhite's Bar-B-Que


I drive by Wilhite's Bar-B-Que almost every day on the way to and from work. I take an alternate route to avoid the heavy traffic on IH-35 during rush hour. I had no idea it existed until I read something about it from Brisketman. It is also kind of hidden because it shares space with a gas station. I took a long lunch on this day to explore Wilhite's. When I got there, I knew why I have been missing it when I drive by. The sign was small, and the location was odd. I would have never guess that a barbecue restaurant was located right there.


The first thing I noticed was the prices. Everything was relatively cheap. I got the three-meat plate with two sides and drink for under 10 bucks. The order came with moist brisket, pork ribs, sausage, beans, potato salad and sweet tea. The brisket was really fatty. It was sitting in a pool of grease on the plate. It was heavy on the salt but tender with a good texture. The smoke was nice but not as deep as I was looking for. The pork ribs were solid. They had a good flavor, and the meat came off nicely from the bone with some resistance. The sausage was an all-beef one that came from Meyer's Elgin Smokehouse. For being a beef sausage it had a nice fat content. The snap and grit was ideal. The sides seemed like they came from the store. Nothing to write home about. I also tried some of the chicken (not pictured) as well. I could not eat it because the breast meat was so dry.


I get why some people like Wilhite's Bar-B-Que. It is quick, easy, and cheap. You get a lot of food for less than 10 dollars. I could not finish everything off my plate. I was so full. You could easily miss this place if you blink as you drive by. It is tucked away next to a Valero gas station. I could see myself picking up some decent 'cue on the way home one day from here. They even have all you can eat catfish on Fridays. What is there not to like? Grade C+

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 4903 Farm to Market Road 1327, Creedmoor, TX 78610
Phone: (512) 243-2703
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wilhitesbbq

Comments

Popular Posts