Southside Market & Barbeque (Elgin)


After hitting up Meyer's Elgin Smokehouse, we went to Southside Market & Barbeque. Southside Market is apparently the oldest barbecue joint in Texas. They started out as a meat market back in 1882. The building is huge, and there were a lot of people there eating when we got there. Both dining rooms were almost full. There were two lines to order from so you can get your BBQ fix fast and efficiently. I saw a salad on the menu and was perplexed. Who is going to order salad from a BBQ restaurant? Not me. The chopped beef baked potato did look good tough.


I was feeling full already, but I still went for my usual. I ordered moist brisket, pork rib, and sausage. I added a pork baby back rib, and my wife got some blackberry cobbler. Brisket, brisket, brisket. It was the star of the show. Killer. I enjoyed every bite I took. It was so tender and smoky. The bark was bursting with flavor. The St. Louis style pork rib was just okay. It was dry and boring. Good smoke though. The back baby "rib" was better. I used quotations because the rib was so small. It was like eating a mini pork chop. It was juicy and had a nice smoke flavor. The all-beef sausage was good, but I think prefer Meyer's more. It was fattier, but Meyer's tasted better. The grit and pop were on point though. Nothing really needed BBQ sauce, but the bold sauce was awesome. It was sweet and spicy.


When I return back to Elgin, Southside Market & Barbeque will be my go-to. I want some of the brisket right now. I checked out the meat market before we left and bought some fresh breakfast sausage. They are opening another location in Bastrop this fall. I skipped out on the jalapeƱo cheddar sausage this time. I was too full. Smart decision. They even make milkshakes here. Ice cream always sounds so good with barbecue. What is in store for next year's trip? Not sure. Maybe San Antonio? Grade: B


Until next time, happy smoking...


Address: 1212 Hwy 290, Elgin, TX 78621
Phone: (512) 281-4650
Website: https://southsidemarket.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SouthsideBBQ
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SouthsideBBQ

Comments

Popular Posts