Smokey Denmark's Smoked Meats Co. (closed)


Smokey Denmark's Smoked Meats Co. is a sausage making and wild game processing facility on the east side of Austin. They have been around for over 50 years and also sells their sausage to the public on-site. I only found out that they existed a few months ago. Shameful. Now they have a BBQ truck to serve smoked meats from. Pitmaster Bill Dumas is on a mission to stake out a piece of the Austin barbecue pie. I stopped by once on a Friday, but they were out of pork ribs. I was not going be foiled again!


This day I ordered my usual Texas trinity of moist brisket, pork rib, and sausage. I also added a link of boudin sausage. The brisket was respectable. Other than the flat being a little chewy, it was cooked well and had decent smoke and bark. I would have like to see a little more rub especially on the bottom of the brisket. The brisket was better than the first time I tried it. They also cut the brisket "correctly" this time by cutting it against the grain instead of with the grain. The rib was meaty with a good flavor. It was a little chewy and hard to bite the meat from bone. For now, the pork ribs are only available on Fridays. The smoked sausage was good and flavorful. It had a good snap, but the texture was what you would expect from a mass produce sausage. I have been on a boudin kick of late. I am trying every single one I run across. At Smokey Denmark's, they use pork shoulder instead of pork liver in the filling. The casing could barely keep the pork and rice mixture contained. It was dynamite. It had a ton of flavor, and being smoked instead of boiled, added a nice finish to it.


I am going to go ahead and add Smokey Denmark's to my rotation. I had a good meal and did not have any issues. I have tried the pulled pork before and thought it was alright, and the jalapeño creamed corn was not bad either. I did not get a chance to try the jalapeño and cheese sausage this time. I am interested in their Tuesday special which is a taco with a choice of pulled pork or brisket. Go check them out.


Until next time, happy smoking...

Comments

Popular Posts