San Marcos BBQ


The barbecue scene in San Marcos is starting to get crowded. About a year ago, San Marcos BBQ took over the spot that Hays County BBQ vacated. Owner/pitmaster Justin Pearson has some BBQ experience working with his grandfather at Chisholm Trail Bar-B-Que in Lockhart. He is using the same pits that Hays County BBQ left behind. The location is tucked away a couple of miles off of IH-35.


The first thing I noticed was the prices. They were comparatively lower than some of the places I go to. I have now done back-to-back posts where brisket is 13 bucks a pound. That is a heck of a deal. I ordered a quarter pound of moist brisket, one pork rib, half link of the regular and of the jalapeño and cheese sausage. I had a coupon for a free side so I got the braised cabbage. That is healthy, right? The brisket was solid. The rub consists just of salt, black pepper, and a little red pepper. It had a good flavor but was a little chewy. The post oak gave the meat the right amount of smoke without overpowering it. The brown sugar with a touch of barbecue sauce gave the rib a nice sweetness. It played well with the smoke. The rib meat was tender towards the middle but dry and hard around the edges. Homemade sausages are always an added bonus in my book. The sausages had a great coarse grit with a good snap from the casing. They both had a good amount of fat. The regular was a little bland. Salt can go a long way in sausage making. I prefer the jalapeño and cheese because it had more of a taste plus a spicy kick to it. The braised cabbage was an excellent change of pace and had bits of sausage in it. I felt my blood pressure drop while I was eating it...


Thinking of all the options in San Marcos, I would still come back to San Marcos BBQ. You get more for your money, and the 'cue was above average. I only spent $10 on my lunch. Next time I will take Amber so we can try the turkey, chicken, and pork chop. Grade: B-


Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 2601 Hunter Rd, San Marcos, TX 78666
Phone: (512) 938-1019
Website: http://www.sanmarcosbbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sanmarcosbbq
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sanmarcosbbq

Comments

Popular Posts