Heim Barbecue

Amber and I were going to the DFW area so I could attend Meat Fight. It is kind of surprising that I have only reviewed one other DFW barbecue joint up until this point, Pecan Lodge. I will try to visit the Dallas/Fort Worth area more often this year. I follow owner/pitmaster Travis Heim and wife Emma on social media. In the beginning, I have seen them help out John Lewis of La Barbecue at events and festivals. They hosted MEATclub (BBQ pop ups) as well. With the experience and knowledge they gained, they opened their own BBQ trailer, Heim Barbecue, early 2015.

On the Sunday morning of Meat Fight, I arrived at Heim Barbecue 45 minutes before opening. There was not much of a line. I ordered a little bit of everything off the menu. I got brisket, pork ribs, jalapeƱo cheese sausage, pulled pork and the bacon burnt ends. Bacon burnt ends? What?! The oak smoked brisket had a good flavor. It could have been left in the smoker longer to render the meat. The flat was a little chewy. The St. Louis cut pork ribs had a nice, sweet glaze and a good amount smoke to them. The meat barely put up a fight and came away from the bone cleanly. The ribs were delicious. The cheesy sausage packed a punch. It had a nice taste with a spicy finish. The casing could barely contain the meat and snapped once bitten into. The pulled pork was a nice surprise. It had a touch of sweetness to it and was moist and flavorful.


The bacon burnt ends. Holy crap. The cut up pork belly nuggets were sweet, rich, and smoky. Bundles of joy. I want to eat these EVERY DAY. Maybe multiple times a day. In breakfast tacos. In salads. In Rice Krispies Treats. Out of this world. I wish I could get them locally. The world would be a better place. I went back up to order the homemade banana pudding, but they were sold out. Sad.

Fort Worth is a decent distance away from Dallas, but I would gladly make that drive every single time to Heim Barbecue. The food is great and so are the people behind it. Travis and Emma are opening their brick and mortar location in Spring 2016. Expect big things from this couple. With more space, they can be more creative with the menu. Kolaches? Tacos? Endless possibilities. Grade: B+

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 1109 W Magnolia Ave, Fort Worth, TX 76104
Phone: (817) 876-2741

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heimbarbecue/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HeimBBQ

Comments

Popular Posts