The Shed Barbeque & Blues Joint


If you guys did not know, one of our Corgis, Bentley, has Degenerative myelopathy which is essentially ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) for dogs. We have been taking him along on our road trips. Amber's birthday was in May and wanted to go somewhere fun and beachy but still drivable. We ended up picking Destin, FL for the white sands and we had not been before. I have heard of The Shed Barbeque & Blues Joint from social media and TV and knew it was on the way to Florida. We stayed in Beaumont, TX to shorten our drive, and The Shed was only about 5 hours away. It was the perfect stopping point plus we arrived there right around lunch time.


I was really excited to stop at The Shed. It was my only planned BBQ stop of the trip. We ordered the Shed Sampler Platter and a banana pudding. The sampler comes with baby back ribs, spare ribs, pork, brisket, chicken, and sausage and three sides. We chose mac and cheese, sweet potato fries, and collard greens as our sides. The brisket came shredded so that was different. It was like eating pot roast. I really did not care for it. Both ribs were overcooked and coming apart when I bite into it. It was almost like eating pulled pork on a bone. The flavors and smoke across the meats were pretty good, but I just did not love how everything was cooked. The temperatures of the meats ranged anywhere from cool to lukewarm. That threw off the texture as well and did not make for the best eating experience. The chicken wings & leg, sausage, and pulled pork were solid. The mac and cheese was kind of weird. It had an interesting cheese sauce? drizzled on top. Our favorite bite of the meal was the homemade banana pudding. It was fluffy and tasty.


The Shed is a pretty cool spot. I say stop by in the evening when they have live music, grab a beer, and chill along the river. I was definitely disappointed in this visit. Maybe I just went on a bad day? You guys might have better luck when you visit. I am only allowed one barbecue stop when we are on vacation. We stopped in NOLA for a day on the way back, and I wished I had picked a joint there instead. Where to next? We have a trip planned in September for West Texas and some of the focus of the trip will involve stopping at some of the Texas Monthly Top 50 restaurants so I am really stoked about that.


Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 7501 MS-57, Ocean Springs, MS 39565
Phone:
Website: http://theshedbbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheShedBBQ/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheShedBBQ

Comments

Popular Posts