Hays County BBQ

Updated in 2014

After looking through the 2013 Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ joints list, I saw a restaurant on there that was not too far from our house. It was Hays County BBQ which I had never heard of it. It was located in San Marcos which is only about 10 minutes from our house. I had a hankering for BBQ all week and was trying to find a way to go there.

Amber and I went to see Star Trek: Into the Darkness at the movie theater in San Marcos. It was a pretty good movie, but I think I liked the first one better. We had eaten at Red Lobster right before the movie because I got a gift card from work. It was dinner time, and we were not hungry. I was at point that I knew I could not make it the rest of the day without eating, but I was not ready for a full meal.

I knew we were only a mile away from Hays County BBQ. I thought we could grab a snack there. San Marcos had another BBQ joint that made the list in 2008 called Fuschak's BBQ. I am not a fan of that place. I am not sure why it was on the list. I was hoping Hays would not be the same.The restaurant has been around for over five years now. When we walked in, the setup was similar to Rudy's. There was a cooler full of sides. We were there just for the barbecue meat. I ordered a slice of moist brisket and a ring of regular sausage to share with Amber.

While true barbecue enthusiasts avoid using sauce, I always try it with sauce to compliment the meat. They had a typical Texas sauce and a spicy one. I like the spicy one better. The brisket was good. I feel like if we went there earlier in the day, it would have been even better. The meat had probably been sitting around so the fat started to un-render. We will have to go back earlier in the day. The sausage was really good. It was very comparable to Smitty's. Smitty's is home to our favorite sausage. The casing had the pop you were looking for. The meat was not gritty and had the texture you would taste in a good sausage.

We will have to return there someday soon to try the brisket earlier in the day. They also have other meats I need to try like pork chops and pork ribs. I would definitely recommend stopping by here if you were on the way to the outlet mall or San Antonio. Grade: B

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 1612 S Interstate 35, San Marcos, TX 78666
Phone: (512) 392-6000
Website:
http://www.hayscobbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HaysCoBBQ
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Hayscobbq

Comments

Popular Posts