Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew


The movie Dazed and Confused was filmed around the Austin area back in the early 90's. The pool hall where Matthew McConaughey's character hangs out at is where Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew is located. The first time I went to Stiles Switch I wore a Franklin Barbecue. The owner saw me and said he had to change that so he hooked me up with a free shirt. The pitmaster, Lance Kirkpatrick, used to work at Louie Mueller Barbecue. With that kind of expertise, you would think Stiles Switch would have decent to good barbecue. Let's find out.


Today I ordered a slice of moist brisket, one pork and beef rib, and a link of sausage. I thought the brisket was kind of dry. The flavor was good, but I felt like something was missing. The pork rib was decent. It was tender but not falling off the bone. It could have used a little bit more smoke. The beef rib was good. Coming from someone who used to work at Louie Mueller, I did not expect anything less. It had a peppery bark going for it. There were three different sausages, and I went with the Switch Original. They had an all-beef one and also a jalapeƱo cheese one. The Switch Original had a good grit, snap, and fat content. It was good, but it was spicy! You have now been warned. I have also tried the macaroni and cheese, potato salad, coleslaw, and beans in prior visits. They were all good.


At Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew, all the meats were solid. I tried the chicken before, and it was tasty. Poultry is one thing I do not order often. Stiles Switch is open for dinner and has a lot of local beers on draft. It is a great place to meet friends for dinner. They are one of very few joints open all day serving up some good 'cue. They are also have a spot on the Texas Monthly's Top 50 List.  "All right, all right, all right" Grade: B

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 6610 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78757
Phone: (512) 380-9199
Website:
http://stilesswitchbbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StilesSwitchBBQ
Twitter: https://twitter.com/StilesSwitchBBQ

Comments

Popular Posts