Evie Mae's Pit Barbecue

Amber and I were going to Lubbock for July 4th weekend. It was a great chance to shoot off fireworks because I cannot do so in our neighborhood. The Shack BBQ has been our go-to barbecue joint in my wife's hometown. A few of months ago when one of Amber's friend said that Evie Mae's Pit Barbecue is Texas Monthly's Top 50 worthy, I totally dismissed that statement. I said to myself, "People in Lubbock do not know good barbecue." Back in April, I was in Lubbock for less than 24 hours, and they were not open on the weekends. Terrible timing. When Daniel Vaughn visited, he had lots of good things to say about it. I knew it was time to stop by Evie Mae's the next time we rolled through the LBK. We were coming into town for a birthday celebration and a funeral. I made sure that we got there a day early.


Husband and wife duo, Arnis and Mallory, opened the BBQ trailer back in February of this year in Wolfforth. Wolfforth is about five miles outside of the Lubbock city limits. Nothing is far in Lubbock. The two knew each other while growing up in New Mexico, right on the Texas border. They started a landscaping business in Tucson, Arizona after Arnis attended landscape design school there. Arnis took up smoking meat as a hobby and ended up building a reverse flow smoker on a trailer. It ended up turning into a one day a week gig out of a little trailer. The right opportunity came along, and they sold their landscaping business. Most of their family is Lubbock or just across the border in New Mexico. They upgraded their trailer, decided to do barbecue full time, and got back to Texas as fast as they could. Evie Mae's is named after their daughter.




Amber, her brother, Zach, and I shared a two-meat plate of brisket and sausage and a pork rib plate. We ordered sides of green chile cheese grits, smoked beans, potato salad, and cornbread. One bite into the brisket and I was impressed. The apple and oak wood slow danced with the brisket for over 10 hours, and the results were superb. The meat was tender and smoky, and the fat was rendered perfectly. The salt and pepper rub gave the brisket enough flavor. This brisket rivals some of the good ones in Texas. When I was eating, I actually thought it reminded me of La Barbecue's with less rub. The meaty pork ribs were great. They were juicy and soft with a little resistance. The meat was kissed with a nice amount of smoke, and their BBQ sauce gave it a touch of sweetness. The pork sausage was a custom blend made for them. It had New Mexico influences with green chiles carrying the majority of the spice. It was good and had enough fat without being overly greasy. The grit gave it a nice texture, and the casing was snappy. The end pieces of brisket on the plates were divine. A little piece of heaven on earth. #meatcandy


Mallory loves to cook so she is in charge of that side of the business. Everything was made from scratch. The green chile cheese grits reminded me of Micklethwait's. They were creamy and rich. My wife and I do not like grits, but we enjoyed them. The potato salad was pretty standard. The smoked beans were out of this world. They sit in the smoker for five hours under the beef ribs. They had a nice balance of spiciness and sweetness with a huge depth of flavor. The cornbread would make any granny proud. They were moist and fantastic. I ate the last bite, and my wife was disappointed it was all gone. Mallory says she wants to open a bakery someday. I would be excited to visit if that ever goes into fruition.

I am already asking my wife when we are going back to Lubbock. I lived there for two and half years while Amber was in law school and did not have the best experience. That tells you something about the BBQ that Evie Mae's is putting out. I do regret not trying the turkey, pulled pork, and the beef ribs. Next time for sure. There was more than enough food for the three of us. They are now open Thursday through Saturday so you can get your barbecue fix on the weekend. Evie Mae's Pit Barbecue is also a perfect destination for those who are on road trips. The indoor seating to get out of the extreme West Texas weather is an added bonus. Grade: A-

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 217 Highway 62, Wolfforth, TX 79382
Phone: (806) 782-2281
Website: http://www.eviemaesbbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EvieMaesBarbecue
Twitter: https://twitter.com/eviemaesbbq

Comments

Popular Posts