Milt's Pit BBQ

I am starting to wonder if you guys really trust my reviews. What does a skinny Asian know about barbecue? A wise man once said, "Never to trust a skinny food critic." Well you should go out and try these places and prove me wrong. We built our house in 2009 in Kyle right before Amber and I got married. We like living in the small quiet town but hate the drive back and forth to Austin. Traffic has gotten worse over the years. Kyle is limited on food choices. It is basically either fast food or Tex-Mex. There are three barbecue joints- Milt's Pit BBQ, Railroad Bar-B-Que, and Dickey's Barbecue Pit (dreading this visit). I feel like a sports columnist writing about the home team with the review of Milt's Pit BBQ. I will try to keep the sports metaphors to a minimum.
 

Milt's Pit BBQ used to be located on the access road of IH-35 but now has moved to Main St. They open at noon on Sundays which we did not know until we got there. We had to only wait 10 minutes or so. That is what we get for assuming they would be open earlier. When we went inside at noon, we had to wait a little bit while the kitchen staff got ready. So there is this thing called the Q Card. Some barbecue restaurants honor them as a discount card. You either get a percentage off or a free side/dessert. For whatever reason today, they rejected the card although they are listed as one of the affiliates.
 

Amber ordered a chopped beef sandwich and some green beans. They were out of buns this day which takes away from the sandwich. I ordered a meal fit for an offensive lineman as you can see below. I got moist brisket, pork ribs, and some jalapeño sausage, the hat trick of Texas BBQ. I think I got more brisket than I was supposed to because I only ordered a quarter of a pound. I got a side of macaroni and cheese, but they also gave us some ranch style beans. I always tackle the brisket first wherever I go. Typically it is a good indicator how the rest of the meal will go. The brisket was tender and smoky, but that was about it. It looked dry because they used an electric knife to cut it. There was not a lot of flavor. It reminded me of brisket you would find in phở. The sausage was decent. There was a nice snap to it with a good grit. The pork ribs knocked it out of the park. The ribs were tender and smoky. There was a sweet glaze that gave it a lot of character. I could probably eat a whole rack. The beans were more like barbecue beans than ranch style beans. It was sweet with bits of brisket. Amber did not like it, but I did. The macaroni and cheese was perfect. It was creamy and thick.





I was a little disappointed in this visit because I was hoping the brisket would be a slam dunk. However it was not. It looks like I will have to drive to Lockhart if I want excellent brisket without a wait. One of my favorite things to get at Milt's is the Haystack. It is like Frito pie with chopped beef instead, with bits of smoked sausage. It is a sure touchdown (I will leave out the metaphors next time). I would come back here if I need a quick barbecue fix that is within striking distance of our house. Grade: B-
 
Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 208 W Center St, Kyle, TX 78640
Phone: (512) 268-4734
Website:
http://www.miltspitbbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MILTS-PIT-BBQ
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MiltsPitBBQ

Comments

Popular Posts