Schmidt Family Barbecue

I am going to try something new and different with this blog post. This is somewhat a live blog that I did today. I hope it works out okay.
 
8:38- I woke up. Today is my birthday, so I took the day off. Today is also Meatless Monday and the grand opening of Schmidt Family Barbecue. My worlds were about to collide. I guess I will just have to eat vegetarian tomorrow.
 
8:45- I got on Twitter, and someone was already in line at Schmidt. I saw that they were going to give the first person in line a free shirt. Kreuz Market and Smitty's Market have joined forces to open a new barbecue restaurant together. Kreuz used to be located where Smitty's is. It was a family business before a falling out that caused them to go their separate ways and have two BBQ joints. Now the Schmidt family has come back together once again bringing over 75 years of experience.
 
9:07- Screw it, let's go for a run. I did a 10 mile race yesterday, so I should have rested today. I was not going to be first in line, so I had a little bit of time to kill.

10:19- I left the house to head to Bee Caves.
 
10:57- I finally got to Schmidt Family Barbecue.
 
 
10:59- I got in line, and there was about 20 people in front of me.
 

11:12- I ordered some macaroni and cheese.
 

11:19- I ordered a slice of moist brisket, two pork spareribs, a ring of sausage, and two slices of turkey.
 
 
11:28- I was finally ready to dig in after snapping a few shots. Most of the meats were already cut before I ordered them. I guess they wanted to stay ahead of the crowd. The issue with this is the meats will get cold and also dry out a little bit. In fact, my brisket and turkey were cold when they put on the tray, and the brisket was dried out a bit. All of that aside, the brisket was cut into chunks. It was really good. It had a good crust with a nice smoke ring. I like a pepper heavy rub. The fat was rendered well. The ribs were also peppery. They were tender but not falling off the bone, and they had a good flavor and smoke. I was disappointed in the sausage. It was bland, and I could not taste any smoke. This is surprising given that the sausage that comes from Kreuz and Smitty's is really good. Four dollars for a ring is also steep in my opinion. The sausage was high in fat content and one of the greasiest sausage I have ever had. The grit and casing was ideal though. The turkey was really good. It was juicy and had good flavors. The macaroni and cheese was good. You cannot really mess that up.
 

11:40- I was finally done eating.
 
 
11:45- I finally left. Look at the line when I was leaving. It had wrapped around the restaurant.
 

11:55- At Starbucks writing this blog post.
 
First off, they do take credit cards, have forks, and barbecue sauce. Some of this is missing from the other two locations. The sauce is mustard based and different but not bad. There is a lot of potential oozing out of this place. It is currently legit, but once they work out the kinks, the stars could be the limit. Grade: B
 
Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 12532 Farm to Market 2244, Bee Cave, TX 78738
Phone: (512) 263-4060
Website:
http://www.schmidtfamilybarbecue.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SchmidtFamilyBarbecue
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SchmidtBBQ

Comments

Popular Posts